I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 19 February 2020

Wakefield windows


I had a trip to The Hepworth in Wakefield with a friend just before Christmas. I wanted to see an exhibition that included some of David Hockney's early work and, anyway, it's a while since I'd visited, there's a great café and it was chance to catch up on news with a good friend. We enjoyed ourselves, though it's arguable that both of us would have come away with better photos had we not been distracted by chatting!

As always, the building itself excites me as much as the work on show. It's all about light and shadow, with some wonderful views from the windows. In the photo above, I managed to frame the spire of Wakefield Cathedral in one of the characteristic holes in a huge Barbara Hepworth sculpture.

Below is a striking hand-painted bronze sculpture by Rebecca Warren. I think it's a representation of a human form, though to me it just looked lumpy! I liked the colouring and patina though - and I loved its juxtaposition with the glowing golden branches of the willow tree outside.


The sculpture was more attractive in close-up. I could see a face (perhaps an angel) in this bit, though it wasn't meant to be a face.



6 comments:

  1. The sculpture reminds me of a witty Scottish souvenir comprising a lamp post with a drunk hanging on to it for dear life and the words "Glasgow belongs to me" written on the base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first one is exquisite. There's something about windows...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to visit that building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing the sunny willow contrasted with the sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny: re Terry Fox, there is a sculpture right where he had to stop his run and many others in Canada. There are also many schools named for him and I think every kid in Canada knows his story these many years later.

    ReplyDelete