I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 5 February 2020

Déjà vu


I walked past the old Carnegie Library building in Windhill on December 1st. It reminded me that I once posted a photo of it. Looking back, I was surprised to see I posted it as long ago as 2012 - on December 1st. That's a little spooky, isn't it? (See HERE)

Sadly the building has deteriorated still further, with shrubs now growing out of the stonework. I'm sure it won't be long before some of the masonry tumbles down. Perhaps then they will demolish this once fine Edwardian building, a very sad end and one that could, I'm sure, have been prevented. It is, I gather, in private ownership and there were plans to redevelop the site for a supermarket. That would have included (apparently) moving the building, but I think the developer pulled out. It has come up for discussion by the local council numerous times and still nothing has happened. Prominently sited at a significant junction on the way into Shipley, the dereliction doesn't do a lot to promote the area.

A few years ago, attempts were made to brighten it up with paintings. It doesn't really work! I think the portrait is of Andrew Carnegie himself (1835-1919), who was a wealthy Scottish-American steel baron and philanthropist, in later life giving away nearly 90% of his fortune. He had over 3000 public libraries built across the world.


Then there is a tango dancing couple (on a suitably Tango orange background!) that references the fact that the upper floor of the Library was once used as a dancehall and function room. 


The rest of the murals are rather psychedelic flower pictures.


6 comments:

  1. Shipley, city of dreams.....time it woke up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again...looking at the state it was in in 2012, and now, and it sure is continuing to decline. Yes, there's not much longer for this once-stately piece of architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sad state of affairs to see the building in that state.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad that it's being allowed to deteriorate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful building! It boggles the mind why it isn't taken care of. It is disgraceful for property that old and beautiful to be left to rot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was a wonderful Carnegie Library in my small hometown in central Texas. I had great fondness for it as a child...and AWE. While I was away in college, it was torn down, and a dreadful little building put in its place. Still makes me angry. An even smaller town 50 miles away preserved theirs, and it is good to see it still exists. Perhaps Saltaire can do the same. It does take money and will.

    ReplyDelete