I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 6 February 2020

Spring?


It's been such a mild and damp winter that signs of spring are already appearing. I've got miniature daffodils in bloom in pots in my garden. On a recent walk, I noticed the hedgerows are filling with blossom. There is a type of cherry plum that's usually the first to bloom so that is probably what this is, though I'm not 100% sure. It's very pretty anyway, and a welcome sight. Snowdrops have unfurled too - a February flower but a little early, even so. The growth could all be knocked back by a cold snap. We've had no snow here so far but it's not unheard of in March or even April so there's time yet!


The trees are still colourless and the footpaths are all very muddy and brown, squelchy with leaf litter. There is some bright colour to be found, despite the grey and damp. I noticed some vibrant moss on the roof of an old farm building.


On the edge of the village, a householder had made a cheerful display of brightly coloured pots, rather Mediterranean in feel, I thought.


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos and it must be pleasing to see some Spring colour creeping into your place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photo of the blossom - it is Blackthorn which yields sloes - we use them to make sloe gin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested in the moss photo. It shows the resilience of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little blossoms look so delicate.

    Here too, we have snow falling today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well if you're seeing signs of Spring hopefully soon we will be in Autumn and will get some much needed rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the snow drops and the bright colored pots!

    ReplyDelete