I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 18 February 2020

Treasures at the garden centre


The local garden centre is quite a big place and has some quirky displays, with a lot of old machinery hanging from the rafters. Since I last visited it has added some new departments and now has a few animals (rabbits, guinea pigs and rats) and reptiles. I'm not sure if they are for sale or just a crowd puller. I know young children love visiting pet shops. They have a large parrot called Elvis and I'm pretty sure he is just there to amuse visitors.


The reptiles are fascinating. I feel OK when they are behind glass! I'm not so keen to come face-to-face with these creatures, especially the snakes, but I marvelled at the colouring of the lizardy thing.


I'm not sure what the insect is, possibly a locust?


There are also tanks full of tropical fish, which are for sale. I do like watching those. Goldfish make me smile, as I remember when I was a child we looked after one for some neighbours. It managed to jump out of its bowl and died. My mother spent hours touring the local pet shops trying to find one that looked the same, to replace it!


At one time, we had an aquarium at home. My favourites are always the neon tetras, such colourful little things looking as though they are illuminated from within:


6 comments:

  1. How did we get by before there were garden centres? Ours sells clothes, shoes, hot tubs, pets and pet food, books, CDs, cakes and biscuits, soft furnishings, greetings cards, wild bird food - and there's a café too. It's quite difficult to find plant pots though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My auntie took me to Yeadon Fair. My Mum had given her strict instructions: do NOT bring a goldfish home. There they were, shining glass bowls with small round openings so that the 5 ping-pong balls one bought for six pence had no chance to get in. My auntie toss her ball high praying fervently it would miss. When she opened her eyes the stall holder was handing her a fat red goldfish......Bill the goldfish lived with us for many years, along with Patrick the blue budgie, my white mice etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great combo of plants and animals...even if not all for sale. I've got neon tetras in my living room, and watch them during commercials on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always had an aquarium at home when I was a kid too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat place. The parrot statue on the shelf reminds me of 1950s, when it felt to me that everyone had a lovely bird knickknack.

    ReplyDelete