I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 6 June 2020

At the Five Rise


One of my longer walks along the canal took me as far as the Five Rise Locks in Bingley. Normally it's a busy spot, especially on a sunny day. Even in the lockdown there were a few people about but it was much quieter than normal. The café is closed (so I had to take my own coffee!) and there are no boats passing through, though there are permanent moorings along this stretch so there are always plenty of boats to see. The top photo shows the café on the left, which used to be a stable block for the horses that towed the canal boats. The swing bridge at the top of the locks is just beyond the boats, with Lock House alongside, built in 1885 reputedly with stone from a dismantled Liverpool warehouse that was brought by barge along the canal.  I think the rainbow in the water has to do with the fact that I was shooting directly into the sun. 
Swivel 180 degrees and you get a pleasant view looking the other way: 



The picture above is taken from the swing bridge. The moored barge had some interesting sculptural decorations, not 'the owl and the pussycat' but the owl and the... rabbit?


The old cottages opposite Lock House are quite attractive, though they've been altered quite a bit since they were built in the early 19th century.

8 comments:

  1. The barges are very photogenic and so too the canal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's difficult to forecast exactly where people will be at the moment. My brother and I met up for a walk recently in a place where I've rarely encountered anyone; there were several other folk who had exactly the same bright idea. I've never seen a rainbow like that - interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently I saw a photo of a clean blue painted sign by a canal lock. Here is what it said: "Roasted dinners, bacon and egg breakfasts with coffee are not permitted to pass through this lock. All such items must immediately be handed over to the lock keeper for safe keeping."

    ReplyDelete
  4. In another life, I'd like to live on one of those houseboats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder what the boat residents do with their time these days. Love the stone buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your walks have so much atmosphere! Mine tend to be gritty urban treks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your river shots with the boats. Very English.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice views there for such a nice day, pleased that the stable block was converted to be used.

    ReplyDelete