I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 11 June 2020

Improving


My motivations for taking photos are many. I relish the sheer pleasure of being out exploring with my camera and the creativity made possible during the processing stage. I'm not really too bothered what other people think of my work, though it's always lovely when people appreciate my photos. I'm not a great one for entering competitions either, though I do enter some of those at my camera club, simply because paying heed to the judges' comments is a really good way of learning and improving. On that count, I must be getting better, compositionally and in processing, as I've had a bit more competition success this year. Or maybe it's just a case of understanding better which images might do well in competitions! The one above, 'Harris rocks' was Commended in a Open Mono competition towards the end of our 2019-20 season. The one below, 'Get knotted', did even better, with a Highly Commended.

Both of them were taken on my trip to Harris last year. I have only recently got round to processing a few in monochrome and so I haven't shown these on my blog before. Makes a change from endless photos from my walks around Saltaire; I've been showing so many of those lately, as I've had nowhere else to visit.


7 comments:

  1. The two photos above are the same as the final result. The details are clearly visible.
    Success for you.
    Greetings from Indonesia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Your photos are always thought provoking, and lovely to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are wonderful, Jenny! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I took a photography class in art school, we had to use black and white film, which we processed and printed each print ourselves. It was the best way to give all the details of a photo. I still believe that and will often go to a photo exhibit that has B&W photos. Color has its place, but design in photography still belongs in the B&W's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just discovered your blog on another blog, Jenny, and I really like what I find here. I'm a passionate photographer and a lover of nature, especially birdlife. After retiring my first blog, "Transit Notes," a few years ago, I've recently returned to blogging with a new blog, "The Shape of Light." I look forward to following your photographic journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are gorgeous ! Especially the first one I can hear the waves !

    ReplyDelete