I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 10 June 2020

The Quiet Eye 2


Another meditative walk along the canal bank... I was walking so quietly and calmly that the sleepy heron didn't stir. I have noticed this year, more than usually, when the different plants appear. There was early blossom: blackthorn and cherry, then bluebells, wild garlic, hawthorn blossom. Now the hawthorn blossom has disappeared and we have the lacy white of elderflowers. They make lovely cordial and wine but the smell is so disgusting (cat pee!) that it puts me off picking it. It's pretty though.


Foxgloves are beginning to flower, and I love watching the fat bees crawling into the trumpets.


On the field edges there is red clover, with its attractively marked leaves:


and buttercups. The brown spiky things are, I think, some kind of plantain.


The bracken has grown high, quite suddenly, its curly tendrils unfurling.


I don't think I've ever really bothered to study grasses before but, even in a short stretch along the canal edge, there were lots of different kinds, all rather attractive when you look closely.


I found a discarded downy feather, perhaps from the swan that was gliding alongside me looking hopefully for some food. There had just been a gentle rain shower, leaving droplets of water on the barbs. The way the barbs interlock like zips has always fascinated me.


Cow parsley is in bloom. Some of its alternative names are prettier: lady lace, Queen Anne's lace, fairy lace.


and ox-eye daisies - a favourite of mine.


The spring-born lambs are growing fast and fattening up. There was just one black sheep in a field full of white - the product, I think of a recessive gene even though its parents may both have been white. The wool was (is?) considered less valuable as it can't be dyed, so 'black sheep' has become a derogatory term - someone who is a disappointment or a disgrace in a family. Personally, I thought this one was really cute.


8 comments:

  1. I have a green fern at the end of my garden. Probably because I never go near it, it is flourishing. Ferns are toughies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photographs! They convey such a sense of softness and tranquillity.
    Greetings from Sri Lanka!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos. I have an area of cow parsley in my garden, deliberately imported a few years ago and now well-established. It usually blooms in a pool of shimmering white but has been disappointing this year. The blossom never really opened up completely; it started turning to seed before full-flowering and only attained off-white. I suspect the weather has been too dry for it to flourish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are such great photos...use of dark backgrounds to bring out the light and frilly light plants, and the feather too! Poor little black sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely post, Jenny! Love the heron pic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos, the black sheep is special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have so many different pictures. I like the sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some lovely little details there which many would not even glance at. I used to work with a man who would rub elder flowers all over his face and hair claiming it was a good insect repellent. It seemed to work and would probably keep most people 2 metres away as well!

    ReplyDelete