I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 21 June 2020

To Tong Park Dam


After I'd visited the Hall Cliffe Community Garden in Baildon, I walked down Ladderbanks Lane, past some very gracious old Edwardian villas and some quite attractive, modern 'executive detached' houses. Then I took an old footpath down to Tong Park Dam. The path is wonderfully overgrown, almost like a tunnel in parts, with huge oak trees underplanted with holly and hawthorn. The surface is lined with worn flagstones and the whole path is quite low down between banks, making it, I guess, a holloway: a sunken lane. There was once a mill at Tong Park and the lake was its mill dam, so perhaps the footpath was a route to work for some of the millworkers.

At the end of the path, the view opens out over the lake, with what must be one of the most attractively-sited cricket grounds in the area, sadly lying idle this summer.


There were some ponies in a field and, though they were quite small, I noted they had feathered feet like shire horses. I've done a little research without really reaching any conclusion but I see that gypsy horses, bred to pull the brightly painted Romany caravans, have a similar look so these horses may have some gypsy heritage.


Much of the area around Tong Park Dam is rich in wildflowers so it was no surprise to see some beehives, with honey bees flying in and out.


Nor was I surprised to see yellow rattle growing, a semi-parasitic annual that feeds off the nutrients in the roots of grasses. It therefore has a weakening effect on grasses and enables species diversity and a stronger growth of wild flowers. This is turning into a nature walk...


7 comments:

  1. A delightful place to walk. There ought to be a photo-book of the most picturesque cricket grounds in the country, there really are some beauties. If you hadn't told me I'd have supposed Tong Park Dam to be a Korean politician.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always make me smile with your comments. I'll never see the dam without thinking 'Korean politician' now! A book of cricket grounds sounds like a good retirement project for someone. It's weird this summer when they are silent...

      Delete
  2. I believe these horses are known as "Vanners". Traditionally used by gypsy folk there is an active American fan club for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the horses and that path, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful place and lovely photos!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first photo with the "hole" through the trees was terrific, Jenny. It made me think of the Alice in Wonderland story for some reason, not quite sure why? Also the beehives looked quite unusual in their designs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The holloway is magically intimidating overgrown as it is with an old stone footpath. Your walk sounds like a spiritual spa session.

    ReplyDelete