I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 28 June 2020

Fustianopolis


Hebden Bridge used to be called 'Fustianopolis' or 'Trouser Town' as it was famous for making the hard-wearing cotton cloth known as fustian, which includes corduroy and moleskin, commonly used for making men's trousers. Of course, the textile industry has largely disappeared from these valleys though there's a newish company called HebTroCo that manufactures jeans and hardwearing men's wear to suit the generally bearded, liberal, creative male population of the town and elsewhere.

The (surprisingly controversial) needle sculpture in the town square represents a fustian cutting knife. It's also, I think, a sundial and the base shows aspects of the town's history. 


4 comments:

  1. Maybe the reason I feel so emotionally comfortable with Hebden Bridge is that my Mum was born in Brighouse close by. She made delicious Yorkshire pudding with gravy, flat in a large pan. My brother and I then resembled "The Bisto Kids!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. History is all around us...and here in the SE USA there's controversy over many sculptures (and quite a few are being torn down.) I like the depiction of some of the textile industry on the base of that needle sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice details on the sculpture!
    I found the red button on new blogger so will try it out but I haven't been brave enough yet. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete