I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 4 September 2019

Chuffed


I was on my way to catch my train home at Leeds station one Sunday evening, when I suddenly realised that the imminent arrival at Platform 8 was no ordinary train. It came steaming into the station and I had to run the length of the platform (and it is long, believe me!) to catch this shot of the locomotive: steam locomotive no. 45596 Bahamas. It was hauling one of the special summer 'Waverley' day excursions that run along the scenically beautiful Settle-Carlisle line. It actually travels through Saltaire periodically, but I've long since given up trying to get a decent photo of it locally, as there are so many obstacles, overhead lines, gantries and so on. (I did once get some shots of the Flying Scotsman in Saltaire - see HERE)

If you have £109 to spare, you can book a seat on an excursion. (£164 for a seat in the rather romantic First Class carriages, below, or £264 if you want full English breakfast going out, and a four course silver service dinner on the way home.)

Having run the length of the station, I snapped these quick shots. I actually had my tripod with me, use of which would have helped, but I didn't have time to set it up. I then had to run all the way back for my own train, catching it by the skin of my teeth! The steam loco was a lovely sight though, and I was chuffed to get a picture of it. (Sorry... I'll just get my coat!)


10 comments:

  1. The lighting in the first shot has a very nostalgic feel to me; just like the illustration on the box of my train set! If you want photos of steam trains it's usually better to go to one of the little steam railways around the country, since they have no overhead lines; the North Yorks Moors line is particularly good as you can follow much of the line on footpaths which give good views - an outing for your Photographic Club, perhaps??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Jenny, talk about being in the right place at the right time, two fabulous captures of this old beauty.. well worth the run and rush đź’›

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant Jenny - that was well worth the run ... well done you - and thank you for making the effort. Lovely shots ... and I'm so glad you caught your train. Absolutely stunning photos - chuffed you may be! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jenny,
    So nice that you have seen this train. Great that locomotive and the historic wagons behind it also look very luxurious. Nice pictures.

    In the Netherlands I drive cargo trains, so I am interested in these kind of pictures...hihi...!!

    Greetings, Marco

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful capture...as good as wildlife! Rare, beautifully constructed, and designed for work. Thanks for your efforts for getting such a good shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It reminds me of the train in Harry Potter! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your last shot opened the floodgate of nostalgia. The warm, wonderful Pullmans with yellow and brown restaurant cars, plush curtains and golden dining table lights looked so luxurious right here in Leeds City Station in the fifties before they pulled out for Doncaster and London. I loved the smell of Yorkshire coal smoke, the red glare of the opened fire boxes, the drivers so proud of their responsibility.........

    ReplyDelete
  8. For some reason known as "Black Fives" these LMS 4-6-0 main line locos were named after Sir William Stanier, the Chief Designer of London Midland and Scottish. Most were built at Crewe in 1934-36. Not all the Jubilee Class have the double chimney shown here.

    ReplyDelete