I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 26 September 2019

The Forest of Saltaire


  
Saltaire Festival 2019
Planting trees and hedgerows combats climate change, prevents flooding, regenerates landscapes and provides habitat for wildlife. What's not to like? (As they say).

The Forest of Saltaire is an interesting project that aims to encourage people to grow and plant native trees within our local area. Many of Saltaire's small gardens and yards, my own included, are not big enough for a full sized tree. Nevertheless, they are encouraging local people to plant tree seeds (which they can provide) in a pot, nurture and water the plant and, after two years, return it to the project team to be planted out in a suitable local spot.

Such a great idea! There is a Facebook page that interested people can join - search for The Forest of Saltaire. It's very new, so no doubt there'll be more information as time goes on. I might have a go at this. If I put a pot in my back garden, that might discourage the grey squirrels from digging up the seed!

5 comments:

  1. "From tiny acorns mighty oak trees grow". Sadly we will not be there to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought for a while was cob or hazel nuts!!! Now I realise what they are ... must be having a 'slow' day. What a very great idea - oaks last longer than nuts!! ... love it - cheers HIlary

    ReplyDelete
  3. We certainly need more trees around everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super idea. I've never been able to get an acorn to germinate...maybe I'll try again in a pot. I've got lots of acorns available now. I would like to plant a tree or two somewhere.

    ReplyDelete