I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 27 November 2019

A ride up the Tramway


Every weekend, the dedicated team of volunteers at the Shipley Glen Tramway crank up the mechanisms and keep the trams running. Since 1895 the two cable-driven cars have transported thousands of visitors up and down the steep hillside at the back of Saltaire's Roberts Park, to enjoy the fresh air and moorland views. At one time there was a funfair up there, with lots of exciting rides. Nowadays there is just moorland with some good walks and plenty of rocks for children to scramble on (and a convenient pub for refreshment).

I usually make myself walk up the hill, along the steep path at the side of the Tramway, simply for the health benefit. Every now and again, I pay my £1 for the privilege of a ride just to help keep the tramway going. It would be such a shame if it closed but it exists on a shoestring. The December 'Santa Specials' are probably all that keeps it viable.


4 comments:

  1. As an eight year old the Shipley Glen Tramway made a terrific impression on me. We lived atop the steep Pease Hill in Rawdon. I lay in bed working out how to build my own tramway using the wooden rain guttering which our friendly carpenter Mr. Sellers had fortuitously just removed from our bungalow roof. Later he helped me build my first boat. As he was also the undertaker it was shaped just like a coffin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used one in June in the Ardennes, was fun ! Also very old !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't recall the last time I've been up a tramway like that. Maybe at Niagara?

    ReplyDelete