I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 29 November 2019

Harriers v Cyclists


I was negotiating my way along the rather muddy and slippery moorland at the top of Shipley Glen, when I noticed a skein of brightly coloured vests ahead of me - runners and cyclists. I was just too late to see exactly what was going on but then later, as I turned round to return the way I'd come, they also returned and passed me. I realised it was the annual 'Harriers v Cyclists' race, organised by Bingley Harriers running club.

They start at the Fisherman Pub on the canal, following a course through the Milner Field estate, across Loadpit Beck by the mill pond, through Shipley Glen and up the steep bank to Glen Road (where I took these photos). Their route, a little over 5 miles (8 km) in total but with a steep 300m climb, then circles round Hope Hill on Baildon Moor and back along the same path into the valley. They compete for the Fisherman Trophy. The course record is around 34 minutes. This year, the fastest male runner (Nathan Edmondson) completed it in 36 min 01.7 sec and the fastest cyclist (David Mirfield) in 36 min 56.7 sec, so there is not much in it. The fastest women clocked 43:43 running and 58:25 cycling. Most of the cyclists I watched dismounted at the top of the steep bank where I photographed them, which I suppose slows them down a little. Getting filthy and bruised is one thing, but risking your neck is another, I guess.

I felt a little crazy to be out walking on such a gloomy and damp day, but there are many folk who think nothing of spending their weekends getting all muddy and wet in the name of sport!


The chap with the stick was a marshal showing the competitors where the route down the crag face started, as it is quite hard to see - not really a path, more of a scramble.




9 comments:

  1. I'll stick to my meandering dawdle if that's OK. Such a shame to be in a beautiful place without the time to stop and admire your surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny - you've had some wonderful photos recently ... I do enjoy seeing them. As John says ... I'll stick to my meandering pace - but enjoy being out and about - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whether Harrier or Cyclist, they are crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd rather be on foot than on a bike out there! Great fun for them all though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos
    Dear me that is a rough course! I hope the guide with the stick doesn't sneeze while on duty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Definitely an accomplishment on their part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems good to be able to get out in the outdoors in winter, good to have fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's apparently joy of some kind in hurling oneself up and down and around, with or without the bikes...at breakneck speeds. Not my choice (as others have also said). But it is great that you were there to record the event.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nope. Not for me. But fun to photograph.

    ReplyDelete