I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 4 November 2019

Welcome to Harris


I've just had the most wonderful holiday (end of September), fulfilling a long-held dream to visit the island of Harris and Lewis (yes, it is all one land mass) in the Outer Hebrides, off the west coast of Scotland. It was a photography tour, run by Lizzie Shepherd and Alex Hare, both of whom are amazing and inspirational photographers with much experience of leading groups to this beautiful part of the British Isles.


I had a great time, though there were aspects that I found challenging, especially since my deafness makes interaction in a group somewhat tricky. The other folks on the tour were really lovely though, with some very experienced photographers among them. It was a delight and a privilege to spend time with them.

Over the next several days I shall post a few of my favourite photos from there, though I am still working through them. I know that it's best to let a bit of time elapse and then look again at the images, as sometimes I change my mind about the merits of them. When I've just got back from a trip, I can be a little too emotionally invested in my photos, whereas later I can approach them more dispassionately and make better judgments. On the flip side, I do want to write up a journal while I can still remember the details.

These first three pictures were all taken at a brief stop we made on the journey from Stornoway airport to our hotel in Tarbert, Harris, at a viewpoint at Loch Seaforth. We were delighted to find there was still some heather in bloom. (What is Scotland without the heather?) Not so delighted that it was threatening rain - but actually, compared to the weather they got back home the same week, we did extremely well and only got wet a handful of times.


8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great trip. I'm going photos try that, resting photos before making decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stornoway airport sounds familiar. My Father flew Wellingtons with 221 Squadron Coastal Command during the war. They made large sorties out into the Atlantic looking for German U-boats. Did they find any? Sadly, no. But they did run out of fuel, landed in the drink and took to their yellow dinghy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trip! I'll look forward to more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there's the problem of remembering when/where and why some photo appealed by leaving it till later to edit...and the problem of thinking whatever we were thinking when we took it if we post it right away. I am very much afraid I post a lot of mediocre photos...but then, I don't claim to be a pro! I come to see yours to see so much beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful trip. The Outer Hebrides sounds like such an isolated area!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos! I am looking forward to seeing more of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funnily enough the same type of heather grows wild here in parts of NZ.

    ReplyDelete