I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 18 November 2019

The harbour


Harris, day four
A little further beyond the church is the village of Rodel, once the historic capital of Harris, situated around a harbour that used to host the Skye ferry. Those accolades now fall to Tarbert and Rodel is much more tranquil.


I really enjoyed taking a few 'mini-landscape' shots here. There was much to inspire me: old boats, rusty chains, knotted ropes, seaweed and lichen. Some lovely colours too...





For some reason I can't quite define, this shot of seaweed caught in a gap in the decaying harbour jetty is probably one of my favourite images of the whole trip. The shapes and colours just seem very pleasing to me. I think it's an archetypal feminine image in some senses - a bit Georgia O'Keefe, albeit not a delicate flower. 


4 comments:

  1. Yes, I think O'Keeffe would have liked that last shot. And I wouldn't have thought of the feminine aspect until you said so...the rounds of rock which are actually hard, and the small pieces of delicate seaweed. All of these are evocative of paintings...and show what good photography means to me. The patterns and colors become more important, more enjoyable in closeups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the photos are lovely but the seaweed is a special one. We are discussing Wabi Sabi and Imperfect Photos at our next meeting. I think yours meet the criteria of Wabi Sabi very well.

    ReplyDelete