I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 22 November 2019

Gneiss beaches



Harris, day five
We spent the afternoon in Lewis on a couple of (very Gneiss) beaches, one stony and one sandy. The local rock is Lewisian Gneiss, a metamorphic rock that, at 3 billion years old, is reckoned to be the oldest rock in Britain and one of the oldest in the world, two thirds the age of the earth. See HERE for a more detailed explanation. It is very attractive, with multi-coloured layers and patterns. I love pebbles, there's something so tactile about water-smoothed stone and I was tempted to put a couple in my pocket. (I know you shouldn't!) It was mainly the thought of my luggage allowance on the flight back that stopped me!

Wherever, there are stones, someone will have balanced a few...



I was fascinated by the patterns in the peaty water of a small stream running across the beach to the sea.





7 comments:

  1. I might have pocketed a pebble too. Lovely shots of the flowing water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Set Of Photos - Thanx For Sharing

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the patterns in the sand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful ohotos. The first picture makes me smile. As for pebbles, it is a shame humans are pushed out of also being part of Earth's transports.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful place to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always find the patterns made in the sand by the tide quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete