I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 5 July 2013

Space age?


I was sure I'd shown a photo of this before on my blog, but I can't find it. It always puts me in mind of some kind of space capsule... but in fact the origins of this go back a lot, lot longer. It is actually the central tower at the Royal Armouries museum in Leeds. The articles displayed are swords, lances, daggers and pieces of armour dating back into British history. At one time you had to lie on the floor on your back to take a shot like this, but now there is a very clever arrangement of mirrors.

I only paid a very brief visit this time but now that I realise I haven't shown any photos before, I will either return for a longer tour or dig out some of my previous photos from the musuem. At one time I thought that a museum full of the history of conflict wouldn't be my kind of thing. But in fact the place is packed full of fascinating history and makes a really good day out. It's free to get in too!

6 comments:

  1. At the first glance I thought it was looking down in a store ! I almost got dizzy ! What an interesting display!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of "2001, space odyssey" by Kubrick
    What a fabulous place and a fabulous picture!!!
    I would not like to be the one who has to take dust away... :o)
    Have a nice week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of a kaleidoscope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this one, jennyfreckles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoe beautiful! And, yes, it made me think of SPACE ODYSSEY too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this was taken in 2001, either.

    ReplyDelete