I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 4 December 2018

Brightening things up


Towards the lower end of Saltaire Road, approaching Shipley town centre, there's a very drab brick building, currently unused. I think it belongs to the local council. (I suspect they may be hanging on to possession of several buildings and a corridor of land in the area. At one time the land featured in a road scheme that I thought was shelved but now seems as though it may be resurrected.)

Sixteen colourful murals have been erected there to brighten up the area. They were designed and painted by pupils from Saltaire Primary School, with help from some local artists and the Hirstwood Regeneration Group. The scenes show various local landmarks and were designed after the children made field trips to study and sketch what they saw.

The scenes will be very familiar to local people, though I'm sure even readers of my blog who don't live locally will recognise many of them. There's the bandstand and Sir Titus Salt's statue in Roberts Park. There's the alpaca statue, the Shipley Glen Tramway and a wonderful view of Hope Hill behind.


There's the Hirst Wood Nature Reserve:


and some of the houses and chimney pots of Saltaire, again with Hope Hill and Shipley Glen in the background:


I hope they brighten your day!

5 comments:

  1. I recognised most of those. Particularly nice perspective and composition in that last example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun for everyone to enjoy! I hope they remain long enough for the children to grow up and see them and share them with families!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are quite cheerful, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are bright and colourful. The last one is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fine idea! They are very nicely done too.

    ReplyDelete