I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 8 December 2018

Wandering



Sometimes I go for a 'walk' and sometimes for a 'wander', meaning that I set off with no clear intention of where to go. I just follow my nose, rely on the map in my head rather than an actual map and see where I end up. Mostly I start off along the Leeds-Liverpool Canal towpath and this time I headed east towards Shipley, rather than west as is my habit. The first stretch is always nice, passing through the narrow canyon between Salts Mill and the New Mill, looking back at that iconic view.  (The man was a photographer and he took a photo of me as I walked along, so I repaid the favour! I was wearing an image-friendly red jacket though, so his pic is probably more fun.)

Passing Salts and Shipley Wharf, and through downtown Shipley, the buildings are a mixture of old and new. Not much to photograph on a dull day, although I did notice some graffiti artists vandals had been at work, liberally covering most available surfaces. Towards the far side of Shipley, I came to Gallows Bridge, which carries an ancient right of way over the canal. (See also HERE - I did this part of the walk back in February.)


Looking back from the same spot, you can see that some of the buildings in downtown Shipley look a little the worse for wear, at least on the canal side. The one on the left is, I believe, now a dance studio and the brick building on the right used to be a cycle shop but I think it's now empty.


Below is another building that is rapidly deteriorating. It's the old warehouse, boatmen's lodging and tollhouse at Junction Bridge. It seems to have lost all its roof slates, so water will be getting in. I suspect the building will eventually be demolished as unsafe.  It looks too far gone to renovate now, which is a pity.


More tomorrow....

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your walk in the "other" direction, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Demolition by neglect is what they call it here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The roof was intact until fairly recently. Doubtless a local builder stripped the slates off and they are giving sterling service elsewhere. Much original canal furniture has been demolished. There used to be a big house by Hirst Lock, and a neat little lock keeper's cottage at Newlay. Approaching Field Lock one can still see the foundations of a former boatmen's pub and horse stable which you walked past.

    ReplyDelete