I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 2 December 2018

My angel


I returned from a recent walk via the local Nab Wood cemetery, and just had to stop to say hello to my favourite angel, she of the broken wing and pretty face. I like cemeteries. It perhaps has to do with the fact that my childhood home was right next door to one and playing among the ancient graves held no fears. It was a place of tranquillity, beauty and abundant wildlife. A family place too, where I could stop by and have 'conversations' with my grandfather and grandmother, both buried there. Their grave had a utilitarian square headstone, no fancy angels - and I'll be cremated when my time comes, so no angels for me either. But there is something about this one that really appeals to me. At her feet it says: 'A tribute of love'. Very sweet. 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all', I guess, as Tennyson famously said in his poem 'In Memoriam A.H.H.'

6 comments:

  1. I'm not so keen on the graveyard of Grantchester Church these days - many of the names on the stones are people I knew. Four graves which are very close together are those of men who used to play darts in the village pub. If I ever get to heaven I suppose I shall have to "take the chalks" before I can have a game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed researching ancestors, and probably about the time I got serious about that I also started visiting cemeteries and looking at graves. Before that I just loved them for the art, as well as the pondering of what these lives must have been like for whoever I considered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful indeed. I have always found cemeteries to be peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you. I find cemeteries fascinating places of life and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is beautiful. I pray one day her wing will be repaired (if it isn't a design feature).
    For many years driving by, I would not look at a cemetery. In my forties, that faded away. In day time, no problems because early in life often visiting my sister's grave. The experience made cemeteries a peaceful family setting for me.

    ReplyDelete