I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 16 December 2018

Leeds at Christmas


[Since I damaged my DSLR, I'm having to use a very old Panasonic bridge camera, whose batteries are so ancient that they lose power in minutes. I used to get some decent photos from it back in the day, but it's totally different from my Nikon and I can hardly remember how to use it. Apologies for any loss of quality. Hopefully, it's just a temporary stop-gap until I decide what to do. ]

When I had to go to Leeds to take my camera in for repair, I thought I'd take a few pics of the city's Christmas decorations, though I was hardly in the mood... There's a ferris wheel outside the town hall. No-one was riding on it and I guess it all comes to life after dark when the lights go on.

The arcades of the Victoria Quarter are rather splendid in their decoration anyway. The Christmas lights were classy and pretty, if rather lost in the general ornamentation. There was a big pointy Christmas tree with huge baubles at the other side.



The newest mall, opened a couple of years ago to house John Lewis and some other 'high-end' stores, is all airy, shiny and reflective; a bit disorientating to me. You can tell, perhaps, that I'm happier on a muddy walk in the country than tramping around shopping centres, though you have to do it sometimes.



4 comments:

  1. I like the angle of the ferris wheel in your shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the sixties Leeds Town Hall was sandblasted to remove a century of accumulated grime. Leeds citizens were astonished at the beautiful stonework suddenly revealed beneath. It is a very handsome building!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your back-up camera was able to rescue you to capture these beauties...maybe not your first choice, but still enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your wide shot of the arcade is my favourite of these.

    ReplyDelete