I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 22 January 2019

Spot the kingfisher


No, the kingfisher is not called Spot... I mean, can you see it?

I've walked along the riverbank many times and had other walkers say to me: 'Have you seen the kingfisher?' Maddening that I have never seen it! Then, the other day, when I wasn't even really looking, I saw a flash of blue. I stopped and watched for a while as the bird flew back and forth across the river and up and down the banks.

My new camera has a shorter zoom than my Nikon had, so it's no good for bird photography. Even if I'd had a decent lens, I doubt I could have got a very good photo as the bird didn't sit still for long. This was the best I could do. They are brightly coloured but quite small birds, and they dart about quite fast. They are not uncommon around here but it is, nevertheless, always a real thrill to see one.


10 comments:

  1. You did well to see it perched; mostly they are just a flash of electric blue seen out of the corner of the eye. There are certain birds that are always a thrill to see and Kingfishers are firmly in that group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Jenny - and so glad you were in the right place this time. Lovely photo - by my standards ... but amazing shots. So pleased for you ... enjoy more sightings - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is truly a wonderful bird, and to see one zooming along a water course at high speed is really quite amazing. Perhaps next time it will perch a little closer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. Congratulations on seeing him

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen one in years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a fun and glorious catch! Thanks for sharing, and reminding me of the one or two times I've seen one, without a camera at hand!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have them here too but very rarely see them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are beautiful birds and related to our kookaburra, my favourite bird. What is your new Camera?

    ReplyDelete