I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 4 January 2019

That church again


A morning outing is always best for seeing Saltaire's historic church in a decent light. Later on, the sun comes round behind the church so its facade is in shadow. I usually stand nearer to take photos, to avoid all the clutter of the noticeboards, but I'm thinking I should perhaps sometimes show a wider context in some of my local photos. Victoria Road, where the church sits, is a dead-end so the area in front of the church acts as a turning circle, rather bumpy with the stone setts that originally made up all of the village's main streets. I had to move out of the way of at least three turning cars when I was trying to get this picture, even though it was quite early!

Then I got into conversation with a couple of other (not local) photographers, and when I mentioned I was taking pictures for my blog, one said: 'Oh, Salt and Light? I was looking at that this morning.' !
Fame at last!!

[By the way, did anyone watch the Agatha Christie drama 'The ABC Murders' over Christmas? It was mostly filmed in Yorkshire and partly in Saltaire. Albert Terrace became 'Andover'... a bit of an insult, I thought, for such an obviously northern mill village to be shifted so far south to Hampshire! I even spotted Salts Mill chimney in one shot. The scenes in Embsay were, I think, shot at the real Embsay station, not far from here. It's a heritage line and has retained its original fittings. Bradford City Hall, apparently, became 'Scotland Yard'.  I'm not sure that I enjoyed the series. Too grisly for my taste. ]

4 comments:

  1. Always beautiful -- like getting to know someone in every mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a unique church!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful church.
    I didn't see the Christie series. But, I will be looking when it does air here.

    ReplyDelete