I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 13 August 2019

Canine capers


A couple at my church have started hosting 'a leisurely stroll', once a month, up at the nearby St Ives estate. They have a dog to walk regularly, so they had the idea to invite other people along (with or without dogs) to stroll, chat and generally enjoy the scenery and company. I thought that was a lovely idea, so I joined them this month.

Most of the time, I personally quite like walking alone (though I'm careful where I go). Some people really enjoy an occasional walk but find walking alone daunting, and not everyone has the level of fitness needed to join a rambling group. This 'leisurely stroll' idea neatly fills the gap.

The only one that wasn't 'strolling' was Maisie the dog, a young Labrador/Spaniel cross, who simply bounced around in perpetual motion and must have done at least ten times the mileage that we did! She got particularly excited chasing butterflies among the heather, which is in full bloom now. (Note to self: must plan a walk over Haworth way to make the most of it. The intense purple only lasts a month or so.)

The St Ives estate was looking good in the summer sunshine. It's a huge area of grassland, woodland, lake and moor, with a golf course meandering through the middle. The circular perimeter walk is probably a good six miles in total, and the section we did was about three miles.


I had a slightly ulterior motive...
I have never had a dog. I didn't grow up with one and, though I don't actively dislike them, I am fairly neutral around them. I'm slightly put off by houses that have a distinctly 'doggy' smell - plus I can't bear the thought of having to carry a poo bag on every single walk! My daughter, however, has always harboured a wish for a dog and now she and her family have decided to take the plunge. They are getting a Cockapoo puppy (Spaniel/Poodle cross) in September - so I'm going to have to get used to having a granddog around. Taking the walk with Maisie at least allowed me to observe from a slight distance and get a little more accustomed to doggy company.

6 comments:

  1. Maisie looks like a charming dog. I hope you learn to enjoy your granddog. I have been in love with dogs all my life and can hardly imagine not having one. We're down to only two now -- we once had as many as six. The poo bag would be a deterrent. Our dogs have our farm to run around on and I only pick up poo if it's in our entryway. Mostly, it's not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos! Maisie in the heather is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maisie looks like she's good company.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You get used to carrying a bag everywhere with you! You will have fun with the granddog, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A cocker spaniel is a gundog whilst a poodle is very lively with terrier instincts. Apart from breeding a dog which presumably does not shed hair I really cannot see the advantage of a Cockapoo. Perhaps an expert can enlighten me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The not-shedding hair is a considerable advantage, plus they are intelligent, trainable dogs and very good with children.

      Delete