I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 24 December 2019

Christmas pleasures in song


'O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree
Such pleasure do you bring me...'

There seem to be as many translations of the German song 'O Tannenbaum' as there are Christmas trees in Shipley. Whatever words you choose, it seems only right that they have a song celebrating their beauty. Some of the loveliest trees are to be found inside Salts Mill. The height of the vast rooms allows them to use substantial trees and the lack of wind and weather means they can decorate them far more lavishly than those in our town squares. I always get pleasure from visiting Salts Mill anyway, at any time of year, and count myself very fortunate that it's only five minutes' walk away. I could spend hours in the bookshop (and often do!). At this time of year, particularly, I like to buy a few books there. You can get them cheaper online but I know if we don't support the bookshop, it wouldn't be able to sustain itself. The pleasure of browsing would cease and that would be a tragedy. I'm hoping the recipients of my gifts enjoy them as much as I enjoyed choosing them.

The other pleasure in song happened last night when the Hall Royd Brass Band played carols around the village. It was enjoyable to listen to, hard to photograph (dark, movement, too many people!) and by the end I couldn't feel my hands or feet, it felt so chilly in the night air. But I'm in a proper Christmassy mood now!



8 comments:

  1. I think your photos have come out very well indeed, Jenny. Now I feel really very Christmassy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful tree. I like your advent windows. Merry Christmas Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Christmas Eve...lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that bookstore well - I bought a few books there to bring home to Canada! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely shots of the band. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hearing that music would've gotten me into the Christmas spirit too. have a good Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely post. Beautiful Christmas tree and two atmospheric images of the outdoor music of the season.

    ReplyDelete