I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 25 December 2019

The Madonna della Sedia


I think this is possibly my most favourite painting in the whole world - certainly my favourite Madonna painting. It is, of course, the famous and much-copied work by the Italian renaissance artist, Raphael: 'Madonna della Sedia', painted around 1513-14. I went to see it in 2004 when it was on loan to our National Gallery for the exhibition 'Raphael: from Urbino to Rome'. It's normally in the Palazzo Pitti in Florence. It is circular, about 70 cm in diameter and painted on wood. It feels almost like I dreamed it now but I remember standing in front of this 500 year old painting, with tears streaming down my cheeks. There was just something about it that touched me very deeply.

One of my friends has studied Art History (as, incidentally, did my daughter). She recently hosted a couple of sessions where a group of us looked at some nativity paintings and discussed them. It was fascinating to explore the many different styles of painting and to notice the symbolism. Mary is often dressed in red and blue, as here. We didn't actually study this work but we did note how many 'Madonna' paintings have very improbable babies in them. Raphael's infant Christ is a hefty and healthy looking toddler, by the looks of it. I do love the protective embrace in which his mother holds him, and her expression. She looks tired to me. (That may be a projection from my remembrance of this stage in my own mothering experience!) But her gaze also holds something, I think, of the wonder and the deep, deep love of a mother. So touching.

Anyway, it seemed a good image to use today, Christmas Day, when we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. So much seems wrong in the world and Christmas has become a consumer-fest more than anything. It can, however, be a time of great joy, healing and renewal when we recognise God's love for us, shown in the birth of his Son into our world.

'The angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. 
I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. 
Today in the town of David a Saviour has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.'
Luke 2: 10-11

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, I wish you a happy day full of many blessings.

As one of our Living Advent Calendar windows says: Be kind this Christmas. 


5 comments: