I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 4 December 2019

Dreich again


Dreich: A Scottish word meaning 'Wet, dull, gloomy, dismal, dreary or a combination of these.' Much of November in these parts exactly corresponded to this descriptor. I suppose that is not untypical for the autumn-winter transition but day after day of the same drizzly weather has meant it's been hard to keep up my spirits. I met some friends in one of the coffee shops on Gordon Terrace and we had a good chat, which is one way to lift one's mood temporarily. On my way home, I stopped briefly to take a phone pic of the view from the top of George Street. It's a miracle the photo doesn't show any camera shake, as I was also trying to prevent my umbrella blowing inside out at the same time!

Incidentally, this little terrace at the very top of George Street, beyond the intersection with Saltaire Road, is a bit unappreciated, I think. The street here almost has a back-alley feel to it. It's narrow, with the streets and alleys opposite running at right angles away from it. It's only really used as a walkway and for parking. The houses themselves, with their tiny gardens, are actually quite attractive and their arrangement is quite pleasing.

3 comments:

  1. That looks terribly dreary, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One expects Mr. Darcy to come down the street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yorkshire folk used to say, "Eh, it's reet dowley". Whether dreich or dowley it does dampen one's spirits. Hope your brolley survived!

    ReplyDelete