I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 2 December 2019

Don McCullin's landscapes


Most people have heard of the acclaimed photographer Don McCullin and I guess many associate him with his war photography or perhaps gritty black and white photos of northern cities. He's 84 now and in his later years has taken to landscape photography. (See HERE). I recognise his greatness but he's another photographer whose work I can't say that I actually like. He seems to have the ability to make any scene look like a war zone! I think his photos of people are actually a lot more successful.

My own photographic style is rather the opposite of his, striving to make even ordinary scenes look colourful and, if possible, beautiful. So it was a challenge to me to be faced with the theme for my online group in November, which was to take a photo inspired by Don McCullin's landscapes: a black and white, dark and moody scene!

My offering, above, was taken on Shipley Glen, when the weather did more than oblige and created plenty of moodiness.

6 comments:

  1. The black rainclouds look impressive - and familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your effort was a success, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photo!
    I feel like Harry Potter will soon arrive stumbling through your picture while magical creatures emerge from the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure that ones view of life must be affected by seeing some the horrific events that Don McCullin has witnessed. I'm so thankful that I've lived in a time when it hasn't been necessary for me to go off and kill anyone; I don't think I'd be very good at it. He would be an excellent man to illustrate the poems of Ted Hughes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand your feelings about simulating this photographer's work. It isn't you. OK, you have done the exercise, now you can get back to your usual search for beauty in nature and history.

    ReplyDelete