I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 9 March 2020

Drum Machine party


I've featured Drum Machine on my blog before. They are an exciting drum collective, based in Hebden Bridge. I didn't expect to see them at the Piece Hall but they were there to give a party atmosphere to the opening of the new sculpture exhibition, 'People Play' (see yesterday).

Listen to them HERE.

I think I like their performances so much for two main reasons: firstly, being deaf, deep sounds are much easier for me to hear. Drumming resonates within your body in an rather engaging way. Secondly, it reminds me of my childhood, when we used to watch the Miners' Parades through my home town. Each coal pit had its own brass band and I loved to feel the bass of the drums vibrating in my tummy as they passed by.

 I recently had chance to join a short workshop on African drumming (not with Drum Machine) and that was fun too. I've not much sense of rhythm to be honest - but I didn't let that stop me!


11 comments:

  1. Drums fill the heart with energy and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've a group of women who drum and they are wild! I used to join a bit in drumming on Djimbes, but the arthritic fingers say no these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed listening to them, there is definitely something special about the sound of good rhythmic drumming Jenny, they look pretty impressive to :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Trinidad they cut the tops off oil drums and then carefully shape them with a hammer. The resulting sound is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This must have been quite a sight to see and hear, especially the vibrations you mentioned, which i wasn't aware of before. I am wondering if Drum Machine has any YouTube videos where I could see and hear them, so now am off to check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they do. I also posted a video once (6 March 2014): https://saltairedailyphoto.blogspot.com/2014/03/drum-machine.html

      Delete
    2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwGrd7wBq3c

      Delete
  6. That would have been fun to see and hear. Did they vibrate in your tummy?

    ReplyDelete