I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 4 March 2020

Going upmarket


My sister and I had a day trip to London recently to meet up with my nephew and his wife. We found ourselves in the upmarket district of Mayfair, one of the most expensive districts in London, so we popped into the famous Fortnum and Mason on Piccadilly, just for a quick look round the foodhall. It's a long-established (1707) department store and grocer, eye-wateringly expensive of course but the goods are undoubtedly high-quality and not the kind of thing you can pick up in Sainsbury's. Miso and seaweed butter, anyone? I was most interested in the fruit and veg: such colourful displays to lift the spirits and tempt the photographer, even if I only had my phone with me.  Who knew there were so many different varieties of lemon, for a start?


The front elevation of the store is very elegant, with its distinctive eau-de-nil colour scheme. Above the door is a mechanical clock, out of which Mr Fortnum and Mr Mason emerge every hour to bow to each other!


5 comments:

  1. Oh the cheeses! I just was gifted some Humbolt Fog, with price tag still attached. At $25.99/pound, I had a tinly package worth $8.50. It's a goat cheese, very mild, and I haven't found the best use for it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Hoogersteeger was my Grandma's brother. Uncle Archie held an executive position with the Bell Telephone Company of America. Each Christmas he sent us a whopping great hamper of goodies from Fortnum and Masons. I recall vividly the Maryland Ham. It was simply mouthwateringly delicious. As a child with my mouth full I decided one day to live in America and become very rich like Uncle Archie......

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is how the other half lives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an elegant shopping experience just from seeing these photos. Even if the prices were exorbitant (an understatement I'm sure) looking at the colorful assortment of goods offered is "priceless" and also free.

    ReplyDelete