I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 21 March 2020

Here We Rest Gratefully


The Hirst Wood Regeneration Group (HWRG) are active far beyond the boundaries of their own immediate area. They have for a long time taken care of the area around Hirst Lock, initially planting a garden with a nice seating area, and later taking over a boggy field to create what has since become quite an attractive little nature reserve. They have also installed a series of very solid-looking wooden benches along quite a long stretch of the Leeds-Liverpool canal towpath. I noticed some in Shipley when I walked that way. This one is at the end of the aqueduct, so from it you can see both the canal and the river below. HWRG - Here We Rest Gratefully.

I am beginning to notice more signs of spring. Lesser Celandine shines like little sunbursts on the edge of the canal and in the woods.


There's a forsythia (I think) bush in flower by the rowing club, looking like a firework exploding. I like how so many spring flowers are yellow, as if nature reminds us that the sunny weather is coming.


7 comments:

  1. I never used to notice benches, but now I seem to take note of their locations and quite look forward to arriving at them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes my walk is to urge me to get to the next bench on the path, and I'm often dismayed if someone else has already claimed it. Like the cropping of the forsythia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two benches a day keep the doctor away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos, forsythia is an elegant favorite growing wild instead of pruned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forsythias always make me think of an explosion of joy.

    ReplyDelete