I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 7 March 2020

Two Weirs


It's been interesting to monitor the river levels during the very wet weather we've had for the past several weeks. There was that one weekend where there was considerable flooding locally, but since then it's been other parts of the country that have really suffered. The Aire and Calder rivers have been threatening but have, thankfully, just about managed to hold the volume of water, at least through the towns. There are two weirs on the Saltaire stretch of the Aire, one relating to the old Hirst Mill and the other beside Salts Mill. Both of them were roaring and tumultuous when I took these photos a few days ago and they were quite splendid to see. Hirst Weir has been broken up due to various storms over the years, and is now more of a rocky waterfall (above). The weir at Salts is neater, with a lovely contrast between the glassy smooth river above and the waves below the drop. 

I took another walk in the park again yesterday and the river level has dropped further, good news for those further down the Aire valley, who have been flooded.


Step back a little from the water and winter is fast turning to spring, with spring bulbs  - crocus and daffodils - in flower in the park. These mini daffodils on the grassy rise in the park always flower quite early; they catch the sun. The larger species of daffodil, like those in the churchyard, are still coming into bud.


8 comments:

  1. Your daffodils are lovely! I always think of William Wordsworth's delightful poem about them. "Beside the lake, beneath the trees, laughing and dancing in the breeze! Life could not but be gay in such a jocund company!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to see flowers! It is -5˚C here this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you'd posted just that first picture and said that half of Yorkshire was under water I'd have been inclined to believe you! Somehow it's always exciting to see the power of a river in flood - unless your house is in danger of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely scene with the daffodils, Spring is really there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful scenes, truly bring spring closer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I am a first-time visitor who stopped in from another blogger's (John @ By Stargoose and Hanglands) recent post. Recently, I did a blog post about looking for new-to-me blogs to read and a blogger suggested looking at comments from those who posted on my post, so I did and came here. I enjoyed looking at many of your earlier posts and the photos. While I may not be able to comment on every post I will certainly return and if OK with you would like to add your blog title to my sidebar so others can also visit here. And I invite you to stop by my blog for a look-see anytime as visitors are always welcome and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to add that I enjoyed reading the "About Saltaire" as we now live in an apartment in former textile mill in Nashua, NH.

    ReplyDelete