I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 24 March 2020

Signs of the times


A sign of the times in one of Saltaire's shops, due to the ongoing coronavirus crisis. It is very sad that businesses are having to close; hopefully some will survive and re-open when they can. Many are trying to innovate to keep going. Some of the restaurants are now doing take-aways and deliveries. I took this photo on a short walk I did, simply to get some exercise, in the late afternoon. There weren't many people about. The sun was low and there were some golden reflections in the shop windows.

Another day, on the outskirts of Shipley, I saw this sign at the gates to a factory. The company, Carnaud Metalbox, manufactures machinery for the production of beverage, food and aerosol cans. It looks like they are continuing to work, though obviously with some stringent checks on anyone entering.

Both these photos were taken before the announcement on Monday night that we in the UK are on pretty much total lockdown, so these measures may also be changed now. We are only allowed out to shop for food (as infrequently as possible) and once a day for exercise. Some people are still allowed to go to work in vital roles, obviously. I'll bet there will still be people who try to get round the rules. As for my photography, I'm sure I can take a few quick phone snaps when I'm walking for exercise but it's all going to be a bit boring and parochial for a while, I'm afraid.


9 comments:

  1. The new restrictions don't make any difference to me as it's pretty much what I was doing anyway. I suppose it all depends on what you call "essential". The governments rules have been a bit muddled and unclear; up until recently there was advice to avoid shaking hands and to bump elbows instead - pretty tricky when maintaining a two metre distance for anyone without extraordinarily long arms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny - what a lovely note by Gina on her studio door ... I hope RAD survives. Interesting that Carnalid Metalbox are testing their staff before entry ... good for them. Take care yourself ... your photos are always lovely to look at - that image of the mill chimney in the window is a delight to see ... gorgeous brickwork colour. Good luck ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Artists and crafts-people are hard hit, at least those who depended upon festivals for income. I'm sorry also for all the retail venues which have no business now. It's a matter of life and death though, so I just hope we all survive this pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On Monday evening our Ministerpresident praised the folk of Lower Saxony for their discipline. Only supermarkets are open. The chemist served me through a hatch. We keep a distance of 2 meters. The police report that streets are deserted. Busy government depts. are planning subsidies to support businesses and banks financially. The total German shut down will last two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got a lovely reflection in the 1st pic, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do good parochial. Just as you've done beautifully on non-parochial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes you will find photo ops when least expected, and I suspect you will find that to be true as well, Jenny. I have been thinking of doing a post about the various type of closure notices seen on downtown shops.

    ReplyDelete