I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 1 March 2020

Kettlewell St Mary's





The Anglican Parish Church of St Mary's in Kettlewell is a favourite of mine. Modestly sized and well-kept, it sits attractively on the edge of the village, in a large churchyard that is managed for wildlife and wildflowers. The tower is Georgian but the church itself is Victorian, a replacement for a previous building that was found unsafe and demolished.

You arrive up a little lane to a lychgate, a covered gateway. Lychgates were traditionally where coffins (or shrouded bodies) were laid to await the funeral. (See HERE for more info). This one only dates back to 1921, although I suppose there may have been an older structure.

The church interior is relatively light and bright. It has some lovely stained glass. (You know I adore stained glass!) Some of the themes are rather sombre, since several of the windows are memorials to military personnel, including two sons of the Holdsworth family. (The Holdsworths originally owned Scargill House, my accommodation for the week). I featured the East Window on my blog HERE.




4 comments:

  1. How peaceful and beautiful. I really appreciate your sharing your talent here with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely church and beautiful stained glass indeed, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It almost reminds me of something out of pride and prejudice, I have a thing for stained windows - the light shines through so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stained glass is particularly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete