I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 6 March 2020

St Pancras Renaissance


My nephew had thoughtfully chosen The Gilbert Scott restaurant in the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel for our meeting and meal in London. Thoughtful because it is just across the road from Kings Cross station, from where our train departed in the evening; grand but not intimidating, it is relatively quiet in the early evening, with tables spaced quite widely and soft furnishings to absorb clatter; and they have a good gluten free menu - so it was ideal for deaf old me and my dietary needs. The food and service were excellent and it was such a delight to be able to converse quite easily, at least until the venue started to fill up with diners as the evening progressed.

I've admired the amazing building many times but I'd never been inside and it is even more amazing inside. It was designed by George Gilbert Scott, opening in 1873 as the Midland Grand Hotel, in front of St Pancras railway station. The original hotel closed in 1935 and the building became railway offices. There was a fierce campaign to save it from demolition in the 1960s. Between 2004-11, it was extensively redeveloped into a hotel and apartments. It really is magnificent. It would have been a crime if it had been demolished. My phone pics aren't brilliant but they give an idea of the grandeur.





6 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - extraordinary isn't it ... I've been wanting to see inside for ages ... so thanks for sharing the photos - must have been a lovely lunch ... delightful ... thank you - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I am reincarnated as the Maharajah of Rajahstan this will become my very own palace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imagine the loss if it was torn down! It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was most impressed by the architecture of that staircase, not to mention the decorative touches, or blankets of variations of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your great photos brings out the beauty. The staircase is impressive.

    ReplyDelete