I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Sunday 5 May 2019

A dose of culture


I popped over to Manchester just before Easter, as I was keen to catch the exhibition of documentary photographer Martin Parr's work at Manchester Art Gallery, before it closed. I don't know why I don't go to Manchester more often. It takes less than two hours by train and it's not a difficult journey. 

The exhibition didn't disappoint. It featured photos of Manchester that Martin has taken over the past almost fifty years, from when he was a student in the 1970s through to a commission last year. I love his work. The later stuff is brash, bright and gently humorous. He has a sociologist's eye and some of his earlier work, seen from a current perspective, is now a real reminder of the spirit of those times and a significant document of social history. 



Not only did I see the Martin Parr photos, but I also had the privilege of seeing some life drawings by Leonardo da Vinci. Some of his exquisite sketches, from the Royal Collection, are being exhibited at various venues round the UK as part of a nationwide tribute to mark the 500th anniversary of da Vinci's death. How wonderful to be able to see such a range of amazing work, from the Renaissance to modern digital photos, all in the space of a few hours. 

3 comments: