I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 4 May 2019

A sense of ownership


After my walk round Low Wood, I popped in to visit my local National Trust property, East Riddlesden Hall, a 17th century manor house. It's a smallish property by NT standards, but nonetheless very pleasant to wander round. I love the sense of ownership I experience since I joined the National Trust. I just flash my card at the door and feel like I live there!

I didn't go in the house this time as I wanted to see how the gardens are coming along in the spring sunshine. They have large herb gardens and hold workshops in the use of herbal plants in the home, in cooking, medicine and for making dyes. The plant below is Angelica, just coming into bloom. It is not commonly seen these days. Its root is used for flavouring gin and vermouth.






6 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - what a delightful Hall and garden ... and I can quite see what you mean - when you walk into the estate. Love angelica ... I used to loved candied angelica ... only used when making cakes! Cheers and have a good bank holiday weekend ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. East Riddlesdon Hall would suit me too.It looks really nice. But, it is so difficult to find reliable personnel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed these well-framed photos...all could be made into postcards of the site. The use of foregrounds and vistas with even more sense of distance is most pleasing to me. And that first shot of the gate does make one think of coming home. What a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your house and garden look splendid! And how nice to have gardeners doing all the work. That first shot is wonderful -- I wanted so badly to walk right in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd keep quiet about your feelings of ownership if I were you - they might ask you to cut the grass!

    ReplyDelete