I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 8 October 2019

A circular ramble


One of the nicest things about my local area is that the river and the canal, in many places, run quite closely alongside each other, giving the option of several attractive and easy circular walks, out along the river bank and back along the canal or vice versa. My friend and I did one such ramble recently, between Apperley Bridge and Calverley Bridge. An added bonus was the tiny open-air tea shop at the halfway point, where we paused for tea and scones beside the swing bridge.


We were so busy chatting that I didn't stop to take many photos. I can't focus on two such significant things at once; I'm either in the chat zone (which for deaf old me means listening with my eyes as well as my ears) or the photography zone! We did notice a grey heron that promptly flew away when I raised my camera and, further along the canal, this little great white egret (thanks to John for identifying it). They are not common around here, as far as I know, though my daughter did tell me she saw an egret by the canal in Saltaire about six weeks ago. Possibly the same bird...? I don't know. The local ornithological reports suggest one was in the Shipley area in August.


6 comments:

  1. Whilst swinging Calverley Bridge for a pleasure boat the farmer's son came at me from behind and tried to beat me up! Why did he do it? I have no idea. Perhaps he felt it was "his" swing bridge. Boys of 14 are brimming with testosterone, so I gave as good as I got. There used to be a sunken barge here. It sprang a leak in Rodley during the war, and the cargo of cement set solid. As it is not in your lovely photo the sunken wreck must have been removed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That "Little Egret" is actually a Great White Egret, a much rarer bird which has recently stated to colonise this country, I'm surprised to see one so far north. The Great White can be recognised by its yellow bill (Little Egrets are black-billed). At greater distances it can be picked out by that characteristic double-kink in its neck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The egret is a beauty.

    We have spots where our canal and its namesake river are very close together through the last course in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo. I'm taken by the absolutely white feathers, beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lovely walk especially with tea and scones half way.

    ReplyDelete