I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 22 October 2019

Fungi


Fungus isn't something I've taken a lot of notice of in the past, unless I saw those traditional 'fairy' toadstools, the white-spotted red fly agarics. I've been reading recently how the ecosystem of a wood works, and how trees are linked by microscopic fungal networks, dubbed the 'wood wide web'. It's rather magical, so I decided to be more observant as I walked through Hirst Woods, to see how many fungi I could spot. At first I couldn't see any, but I gradually became more attuned and started to notice them, on dead wood and on living trees too. I didn't see any of the red ones, but there were quite a few different types. It's even harder for a novice to identify them than spot them though... I've tried googling different things but it's hard to be sure whether they are the same. I don't place any degree of trust in my ID-ing! There's one called 'hairy curtain crust' which looks similar to the one in the top photo. Don't they have wonderful names?


Those above are similar but not, I think, the same as those below. The top ones were tiny, the colour of shiny little bread buns and I'm not sure what they were - possibly sulphur tufts? The ones below, slightly bigger, are possibly Glistening inkcaps, as they appear to have a bit of a powdery coating.


Those below, similar shape, different colour... Might be angel's bonnet?


I thought immediately that the fungus below looked like a horse's hoof - and that, I think, is what it is called. A funny-looking thing...


The last one is another bracket fungus, possibly turkey tail.


It seems, in order to make a more positive identification, I would have to be much more careful to note the type of wood the fungus is growing on, the underside, the stem... all sorts of characteristics. I didn't touch any of them! I would not be sure which are poisonous and I certainly don't want to die from a walk in the woods. It did make me think I might join an organised 'fungus foray' though. There is a lot of secret life in those woods...

5 comments:

  1. The more I learn about them the less certain I am at identifying them, but the more marvellous they become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any that I have seen seem to grow quite rapidly! That is a fair assortment that you found, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all so beautiful! Well captured!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your wide range of interest and observant eye continue to make your blog a delight. Thank you for keeping on.....the photographs are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete