I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 5 October 2019

Almscliffe Crag


Almscliffe Crag lies some 14 miles from Saltaire, between Leeds and Harrogate, overlooking the Wharfe valley. It is a prominent outcrop of millstone grit, visible for miles around. I've often seen it, and never ventured up there until recently. Once you get to the top of the hill, the views are stunning - across the Vale of York in one direction and over to Otley Chevin in the other. It's a popular spot for rock climbers and film makers. There were several of the former there when I visited, but the only film makers were me and my friends.

The evening light was beautiful, picking out landmarks like the railway viaduct that carries the Harrogate line over the River Wharfe at Arthington.  You may also be able to see, in the picture below, the communication masts at Leeds-Bradford Airport, on the horizon.

(I stand corrected... the masts are TV masts, at Holt Park and the one in the very background is Emley Moor, which is about 30 miles away! Very deceptive. Thanks to my friend for clarifying this.)


5 comments:

  1. Not surprisingly, both of my lads have climbed here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how beautiful! Perfect light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just beautiful photos...I can imagine standing there enjoying the view.

    ReplyDelete