I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 16 October 2019

Leeds Light Night 1


I happened to be in Leeds city centre one day last week and decided I'd stay into the evening to see some of the annual Light Night, a two day festival when key buildings in the city are illuminated and there are sound and light installations at various points.

I found that many of the events were like 'performances' so there turned out to be quite a lot of waiting around for things to start. With that, and the crowds and the rain, I soon realised I wasn't really in the mood for it all. (To be honest, these days I seldom am in the mood for cities with their bustle and noise.) There was a parade too but I decided not to stay for that.

I saw a performance by a flying violinist from Cirque Bijou, in the Trinity shopping centre. Quite spectacular, with fireworks too - but I had to wait ages for just five minutes of action!

There were some rather fun installations like illuminated musical see-saws and cycles that people could ride to light up the structure with their pedal power.


There was also a pretty display of lights hung from the trees in St John's churchyard, with (recorded) music by Opera North's orchestra, performing 'Swans Migrating' by Rautavaara and an actual piano recital in the church itself. I'm sure the music was wonderful but, as I'm so deaf, it sadly didn't mean much to me. In future years I will have to be more careful to choose which events to see. There were many on offer but so spread out around the city centre that you couldn't possibly see them all. There are, I notice, videos on YouTube now too, which is possibly an easier way to experience it all, in more comfort!


6 comments:

  1. I have discovered that one can live without cities, and certainly more peacefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing more and more of this in my area as well. And we really need that sort of thing when it gets dark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had Nuit Blanche a couple of weeks ago which is the same type of thing taking place all night long. The crowds are crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful to see a city with pretty lights. But I agree, crowds and standing around waiting for a performance are to be avoided at this stage of our lives. We get to choose how our time is spent so that we experience joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find the flying violinist fascinating! We have had the concept of Nuit Blanche for three or four years, but not in the last couple of years at least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love festivals like this, definitely different things from the norm to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete