I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 14 July 2020

Gearing up to go


After months of lying idle, the Saltaire Trip Boat has restarted its short cruises along the canal. The owner was hard at work washing down paintwork and generally making ready when I passed by one day. For the fairly minor sum of £4 (not much more than the price of a coffee, these days) you can relax and study the grandeur of Saltaire's mills and church from the comfort of the little narrowboat. (The bow end of the boat is open-sided so a ride can be enjoyed safely in the open air.) I keep meaning to sample the trip one day and have never yet done so. Perhaps this is the year to do it. Self-employed entrepreneurs depending largely on tourism must have been very badly hit by the Covid lockdown. It may be a while before tourists return too, so we locals should probably offer our support. Apart from the cars on the bridge, it struck me what a timeless scene this was. A sepia treatment seemed appropriate.

5 comments:

  1. The knock-on effects of this pandemic seem to be endless. If I ever go on a cruise it's likely to be on that kind of scale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sepia treatment for this subject. I am aware how many of my friends have been impacted by no more concerts, no more sales to tourists, no more of our past ease of movement...so many non-profits as well as artists are hurting financially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is type of cruise I would like to take, fewer people and enjoyable views. The sepia choice was a good one, very vintage and most appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed yesterday that the river boats are back now. Like you say, the tourists may be gone awhile, so it seems a good idea to support them if possible as a local.

    ReplyDelete