I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 6 July 2020

Scrappy


Just to prove it's not all historic and attractive around here... Right in the centre of Shipley, next to the railway station, there's a scrapyard. In actual fact, you might not really notice it's there unless you arrived by train. The railway runs beside it but the road is at a higher level and a wall around the yard means it isn't all that obvious to passers-by. That is a good job really, as it is a bit of a jumbly mess. With the lockdown, the yard didn't seem to be open and working when I went past. The machines and lorries were idle. It's a huge site, extending at least as far again under and beyond the road bridge you can just see in the distance, on my photo below.


I think there is scope for some interesting photos if you could actually get down near the skips. If I'd had my big camera I might have been able to zoom in to pick out some detail, even from up above on the road bridge. I only had my phone though and it doesn't do a good job of zooming in. The area all looks rather messy but in fact the scrap was mostly sorted into different skips. There was one entirely full of wheels, of many different styles. I hope they get recycled. 

8 comments:

  1. It's places like this that keep the rest of the country reasonably tidy; something you only realise when you go to a third-world country (or out in the Fens, where farmers keep everything "in case it comes in handy one day"). Like you I always get an itchy shutter-finger when I see premises that I can't get access to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting subject for photography. Like the wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wheels are of lightweight aluminium and will fetch a good price. Copper also. Pure paper is also a valuable commodity. The secret is in the sorting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know there's an auto junkyard behind a fence near our interstate highway. Once a new exit is built (whenever, may I live so long!) they may have to remove all those old junk cars. But they are sure good for parts. I got a rear-view mirror for my last car which was over 10 years old that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to see all of that being recycled!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hub caps being recycled. That is so great to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it lies, in part at least, on what were the old shunting yards and wagon sheds for the railways ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. There was one of those a couple of roads away from where I grew up.

    ReplyDelete