I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Wednesday 22 November 2017

Golf, anyone?


Addingham walk
Bracken Ghyll Golf Club may enjoy some of the best views in England! I'm not sure what green I was standing beside but the view over to Beamsley Beacon is stunning.

A little further on I passed a beautiful old house called Highfield House, which dates from about 1780 and has unusually large windows for its period. Sadly the surrounding hedges were too high for a decent photo. A little further on though, I came to Highfield Farm, a laithe-house, where the farmhouse and barn are connected in one long-house. It dates back to about 1800, and to be honest it looked like it could use a bit of TLC. An ancient house like this, in such an exposed spot, must take a lot of looking after. A gaggle of geese and some hens in the yard didn't take any notice of me, thankfully.


Crossing the fields beyond the farm, the views are extraordinary. A stile crosses the ancient medieval boundary of Addingham Parish, which was marked by a serpentine wall and ditch. The path then follows a farm track, and the area is dotted with crumbling old barns and drystone walls. 


7 comments:

  1. Three lovely photos, though I would think it's a bit exposed for either farming or golf when the wind is blowing hard. The farm picture is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use to enjoy whenever i see greens all around me.They give refresh to our eyes. Old house looks good with duck and hens around them:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love your three photographs here.
    Thanks for sharing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. The English outback is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three lovely photos. Why do I keep telling you your photos are gorgeous? They all are.

    ReplyDelete