I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Friday 3 April 2020

A den in the woods


What child wouldn't like a den in the woods? I am, however, making a big assumption that this was built by children. It was quite a sophisticated affair and looked like it was constructed by someone who knew exactly what they were doing. It seemed to be built around a small sapling as the central support, with branches stacked up around it. There was plenty of room to sit or lie inside. (I didn't try!)

Meanwhile, around by the river, all was calm and the water level is metres below what it was a few weeks ago. The flooding danger appears to be over for now. We have other things to contend with.


6 comments:

  1. I see lots of these shelters in the woods around here. I suspect they are the work of organised groups for youngsters - Scouts perhaps - and always seem to follow the same plan. Thank goodness the flooding has subsided, though many families must still be clearing up from it. Living in the upstairs rooms while social distancing can't be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun, to come upon a "den" in the woods. I like to think of how many industrious young people found all those limbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have loved that den when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As children we used to call gathering wooden branches like this "chumping". We did it to build our big 5th. November bonfire. A widow gave us a dark suit from which we made a very life-like masked Guy Fawkes to place atop the bonfire. To keep it dry I kept it in our washhouse. When my Mum entered next day she suddenly saw this sinister figure sitting in the far corner and got the shock of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use to love little spots like this when I was little, nice to see it, hope it's been enjoyed by children.

    ReplyDelete