I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Tuesday 7 April 2020

Closed


The coronavirus crisis in the UK is gathering pace. Opportunities for interesting walks seem to be shrinking under the constraints of the lockdown situation, which they have tightened by degrees. We are now only allowed to exercise from home (no car journeys) and they have closed car parks and even roads to discourage access to the more attractive areas. (I still find it hard to understand the logic completely.) The local council have closed not only the car parking areas on Shipley Glen but also the entirety of Glen Road, to deter people. The sign says: "Car park closed. Stay at home. You must not drive to green spaces for exercise, walk to your local green space instead."

The car parking spaces on the far side of Roberts Park are also closed off (below). That's all very well but it does mean that the nature margins of the more urban areas, like the canal towpath and local woods, are more and more congested since they are the only accessible areas for the vast majority of local people. It also means those determined, for whatever reason, to use their cars are now parking on Victoria Road and our residential streets in Saltaire for access to the park and towpath. But hey, at least we're still allowed out to exercise, so far, and for that I'm grateful. The moors are theoretically still available to me but the wilder areas are a loooong walk for me... too far for most days.

I am taking the government's instructions seriously and staying inside at home, apart from very infrequent trips to get milk and other necessities from the supermarket, and short local solitary walks. I've learned not to go out when the sun is shining, on the whole. Too crowded! I'm also tending to walk in the late afternoon, when fewer people seem to be about. But even so, it's getting a bit boring treading the same few basic routes day after day. As for photos, it's harder to think of things I haven't snapped a million times already. I rarely take my camera out now, making do with my phone.

I do, however, accept that the more we all comply the quicker this will be over - so

'Stay home, protect the NHS, save lives!' 

I'm truly grateful for all those health care staff and key workers who don't have the luxury of staying safe at home. Whenever I'm feeling a bit grumbly, I think of the sacrifices they are making, and the pain of those who have lost loved ones to the virus. My own minor discomforts are small in comparison.


7 comments:

  1. Maybe we'll have to become like Cezanne and picture the same views again and again in different light. Or the photographer John Blakemore who spent several years exploring the same short stretch of a Peak District stream. Or perhaps you'll just experience an explosion of creativity when the restrictions are lifted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's no fun! I like having short trips in my car to places I like to walk. I noted that though the playground is closed, one of the parking lots by our lake was still open last week. Why the other one was roped off is anyone's guess...but it was by tennis courts and a picnic pavilion. I'm getting friends to grocery shop for me at this point, but I do miss doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm lucky to have lots of quiet streets that I can walk down when the parks become too crowded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salts Mill is so huge, in rainy weather maybe you could saunter around in there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do all need to stay safe. I'm only taking short walks these day though not every day and haven't caught a bus for a fortnight now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Venturing out farther from home includes the risk of accidents and such.
    Sad are these times, but necessary for sure.

    ReplyDelete