I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 30 April 2020

Fish ladder


I mentioned in a post recently that they were planning to construct a fish ladder on the weir beside Salts Mill. It is one part of a larger scheme up and down the River Aire to take advantage of the improving water quality and to allow salmon to return to the upper reaches of the river. As I walked through Roberts Park I noticed diggers at work, and I guess they have started to construct it. It's a good time to be doing it as the water level is as low as I've seen it. We've had several weeks without significant rainfall and the river responds quite quickly to the changing conditions. It's odd that I noticed the sound of the river is different as it slaps down over the huge slabs that form the weir. Usually it sounds more like a rushing waterfall but at the moment it almost sounds like a machine, duller and heavier.

It all reminded me of that old joke that 'a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle'. Well, they may not need bicycles but they apparently need ladders. To paraphrase another joke, 'How many men does it take to build a fish ladder?' It looks like the answer is at least six: one to operate the digger and five to watch him.

6 comments:

  1. I am curious as to whether this excellent River Aire fish ladder scheme will also include the Aire and Calder which has some of the biggest and deepest locks in the country. Somehow the salmon must circumnavigate these before ascending the Aire from Leeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I note the same thing over here in public works jobs--lots of people leaning on shovels watching one person dig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be fun, applying for the job of watcher of public workers...and just what qualifications would that job have? Able to stand still and look in one direction, which occasionally making grunting noises. Chewing tobacco is optional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Public work seems the same all over the world. I hope the ladder works for the salmon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is great to see anyone out working.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think what they are doing is a good idea, hope the digger doesn't get stuck there.

    ReplyDelete