I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Monday 27 April 2020

A six mile pick-me-up


I usually walk three miles or so in my local 'lockdown' exercise strolls. Sometimes that doesn't feel enough, either because the weather is so nice or my mood is so sombre or I just feel cooped up, so occasionally I will set off for a longer ramble. All three of the reasons applied the other day - and, despite the weather being so lovely, it took me at least half of the distance to start to feel lighter and more at peace with the world. I find the restrictions are having a kind of numbing effect; I'm not depressed but I feel rather muted.

My route took me east along the canal to Buck Wood and then off down a track that crosses the River Aire via a footbridge, towards Baildon. The route back is along the river bank for much of the way. It passes through a little nature reserve, where a pond has been constructed. It was a peaceful place to linger a while, watching the birds. They know no restrictions, busily getting on with nesting and courting.



There is plenty of blossom everywhere, so very pretty. Look how the sepals on these flowers (below) are pink, peeling back from the white petals. Each individual bloom reminded me of a dancer.

By the time I got home I found I'd walked about six miles, and I did feel better for it.


5 comments:

  1. Lovely walk ... the pavements aren't so nice - even though there's the sea ... it's a longish haul up to the Downs which I don't do! Gorgeous photos ... so glad you're coping - take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those blossoms are beautiful! You seemed to have the walk to yourself - here it is getting hard to find quiet spots to walk and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking me along virtually, and for bringing the photos here. Loved the blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pictures, you walk looks lovely. Six miles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking us along on your walk, Jenny. Your walk along the canal looked very similar to a canal near our home. It runs along a large city park which we can access for walks/exercise without restrictions. And yes it can be rather discomforting to be walking in silence with no other human interaction.

    ReplyDelete