I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Saturday 4 April 2020

The little things


I almost stepped on this bee in my back yard. It was just lying there looking a bit sorry for itself and I wondered what to do. I couldn't see any convenient, open flowers to transfer it to. I remembered reading that you can sometimes revive them with a drop of sugar water (white sugar stirred into water 50/50) so I mixed a little up and dropped some from a teaspoon beside it. Within seconds, its little tongue shot out (I'm sure it's not called a tongue!) and it started to suck up the water. I kept having a look and it was feeding for quite a long time, every now and again waggling its antennae.  Eventually it stopped and sat still again. The next time I looked it had disappeared so I assume it felt revived enough to fly away and resume its journey. I've no idea what type of bee it was. It didn't appear to have any distinctive markings, though it may have had its tail tucked under.

I wasn't going to use this photo on my blog but then I thought that, actually, it represents quite well what is happening in the present situation. Our lives are suddenly so constrained as a result of the viral pandemic. Lacking some of my normal busyness, I find I am noticing and appreciating the small things much more: flowers, wildlife, the way the light falls, a wave from a neighbour, the taste of food, the warmth of the sun. Noticing and grateful.

6 comments:

  1. A touching event, an act of true kindness. You are a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed yes...you have started a butterfly effect, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a sweet thing that you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a good deed for that bee. And, you are so right in saying it's the little things that matter even more now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sun was excruciatingly hot and our VLCC en voyage from Saudi Arabia to Texas. We were thousands of miles from land. On deck I found a tiny very shy bird. I placed a plate of cool water beside it. When I returned after my watch the bird had gone. I do not know if he made it. What a brave little soul!

    ReplyDelete