I HAVE CLOSED DOWN THIS BLOG. Please click the photo above to be REDIRECTED TO MY NEW (continuation) BLOG.

Thursday 9 April 2020

Otley odyssey


My car needed an MOT test before the end of March (in the early days off the lockdown) and my own garage, where I had booked an appointment, suddenly closed due to the coronavirus! I had to make a new arrangement quickly to avoid finding myself in trouble with the law. It was a 'necessary journey' and I managed to get the test done in Otley. I had an hour to fill while I waited. Otley is a market town, usually really bustling. To find it so quiet was very strange, though it's an unexpected bonus of this unfortunate situation, at least for us photographers. Instead of being distracted by lots of people and cars, the view along Kirkgate (above) leads your eye up to the moors and woods of Otley Chevin.

Normally, to take the picture below would be virtually impossible as there is always traffic queuing at the junction. The building, one of the oldest in the town, is the former Prince Henry's Grammar School, dating back to 1614 in parts though what you mostly see now is a 1790 Tudor update. Thomas Chippendale, the famous cabinet-maker and furniture designer, was educated here (as that blue plaque tells you, when you get close enough to read it.)


Otley Parish Church is almost impossible to photograph, well hidden among the huge old trees in the graveyard.


The United Reformed Church has a rather fancy spire - and yes, there is still a livestock auction market held in Otley, though no longer up that street. Otley is surrounded by rolling farmland and has always been a hub for the agricultural community. They have an annual agricultural show in May; I saw a poster saying it is cancelled this year.


8 comments:

  1. Well that's a positive in this awful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness for virtual travel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos. It must have been wonderful being out and about to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fee bad for farmers that have lost their markets, here we've seen pictures of milk going in drains because it can't be sold. I'm doing my part, purchasing a gallon every two weeks. Lack of farm workers in FL meant tomatoes were sold in boxes at $5 a bushel "you come get them." I got my car inspection done early in March just as the mechanic was starting to wear gloves and I wore a mask in his waiting room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are strange views without the usual crowds of people and cars. It is the same here and there was a report this morning that air quality has greatly improved. It is a hard way to accomplish that though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always attracted to towns where open country can be glimpsed at the end of the street. It doesn't happen in many places in this flat landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I would've photographed the church too, it seems like it would draw you in. Hope you got your car warrant sorted, the govt here has given people the ok to leave theirs until lockdown is over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Long ago when I was a pupil at Prince Henry's and my Auntie Chris practiced as a vet in Menston, the Otley Agricultural Show organizers asked her to inspect every farm animal before it was permitted to enter the enclosure. She did this diligently the whole day long. Her modest bill was returned, the organizers stating it was not their practise to pay for veterinary inspections. Vets beware of Agricultural Shows!

    ReplyDelete